FY2022-2027 Six Year Program Phases
(Click each phase to view additional details)
During the application phase (from July 1, 2021 – October, 1 2021), Northern Virginia jurisdictions and agencies are able to apply for NVTA regional funds. Eligible applicants include the region’s counties, cities, five largest towns, transit agencies and other state/regional governmental entities. Individual applicants follow their own local processes for selecting candidate projects and determining how much funding to request. This may include coordinating with other jurisdictions/agencies depending on project location.
Call for Regional Transportation Projects
On June 10, 2021, the Authority unanimously approved the Call for Regional Transportation Projects (CfRTP) for the FY2022-2027 Six Year Program (SYP) Update.
Nearly a month later, on July 1, 2021, the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority posted the official CfRTP for its FY2022-2027 Six Year Program. Once again, the CfRTP encourages applicants to consider how well candidate projects support the regional coherence philosophy integral to TransAction. In anticipation of a high demand for regional revenues, the CfRTP further encourages applicants to highlight how well their candidate projects complement one another and those in adjacent jurisdictions. Applicants are encouraged to consider NVTA’s core values of equity, sustainability, and safety when submitting applications. All projects considered for regional revenues are subject to a comprehensive regional evaluation process that uses multiple inputs and does not rely on a single metric.
Please check out additional details in a series of short videos that will be posted here to keep you informed about the Six Year Program Update review process, each step of the way.
Monica Backmon, Executive Director, Northern Virginia Transportation Authority, announces the next Six Year Program Update and official Call for Regional Transportation Projects for NVTA’s FY2022-FY2027 Six Year Program.
Initial Evaluation Process
The applications for Regional Transportation Projects for the FY2022-2027 Six Year Program will be due on October 1, 2021, marking the start of NVTA’s initial evaluation process. All projects considered for regional revenues are subject to a comprehensive evaluation process.
During the verification phase (from October 2, 2021 – early December 2021), NVTA staff will meet with applicants individually and conduct multiple eligibility reviews for each application:
- Virginia Code requires for a project to receive NVTA regional funds, it must be included in TransAction, the long-range transportation plan for Northern Virginia. Eligible projects will be included in the TransAction project list, which is the source document NVTA staff uses to verify project eligibility. Since TransAction is geographically unconstrained, some projects included in the current TransAction project list extend beyond Northern Virginia because they are important to mobility within Northern Virginia. Under exceptional circumstances, NVTA may fund projects that extend beyond Northern Virginia using regional funds. However, projects included in TransAction that are located outside Northern Virginia are generally ineligible.
- NVTA’s process for accepting applications necessitates that each applicant’s governing body, typically a County Board of Supervisors or a City/Town Council, has officially endorsed them. The requested amount can be either a precise amount or a ‘not to exceed’ value. Applications that do not include a governing body resolution, or that request a higher amount than that stated in the governing body resolution, are ineligible. Projects that are located in multiple jurisdictions require a governing body resolution from all jurisdictions.
Submitted Regional Transportation Project Applications and Available Funding
Details not yet available. Stay tuned for updates here.
Table 1: Summary of Applications by Jurisdiction/Agency
Details to come.
During the evaluation phase (November 2021 – March 2022), NVTA staff will conduct detailed reviews of each application and prepare summaries of quantitative and qualitative evaluations. During March 2022, NVTA staff will share initial findings with selected NVTA committees for review and comment. All meetings are open to the public:
- Technical Advisory Committee (typically third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m.)
- Planning Coordination and Advisory Committee (typically fourth Wednesday of the month at 6:30 p.m.)
- Planning and Programming Committee (ad hoc schedule during business hours)
NVTA staff will review the project applications, conduct eligibility verifications, request clarifications, and prepare information for the modeling and other analytical work, including congestion reduction relative to cost calculations.
The project application process will be automated, enabling jurisdiction/agency staff to submit applications through an online portal. This greatly streamlines the application process for both NVTA and jurisdiction/agency staff. Additionally, staff from each jurisdiction/agency will be invited to meet with NVTA staff to present their respective applications and to provide an early opportunity for NVTA staff to request clarifications. Candidate projects will advance to the detailed project evaluation phase. It is noted that project details may change during the evaluation phase to reflect any updates that are received by NVTA staff. A breakdown of applications based on the primary mode for the project applications will be provided once ready. Please note that the projects may support other modes too.
A variety of materials will be made available once ready, including:
- FY2022-2027 Six Year Program (SYP) Candidate Project List
- FY2022-2027 SYP Candidate Project Map
- FY2022-2027 SYP Interactive Candidate Project Map
- FY2022-2027 SYP Candidate Project Evaluation Summary
- FY2022-2027 SYP Candidate Project TransAction Ratings
- FY2022-2027 SYP Modeling Process
- Individual Project Description Forms
- SYP Update Frequently Asked Questions
For more information on how NVTA evaluates regionally significant transportation projects, please visit our NVTATransAction.org website to learn more about TransAction Project Ratings (previously HB 599 ratings).
During the public engagement phase (April 2022 – May 2022), the Authority will make available the project list and evaluation summary, as part of the public comment process. Additionally, during the public comment period, the Authority will host a Public Hearing (date TBD). Public comment period details, materials, and how to participate will be made available once ready. Please keep an eye on this webpage for the latest updates.
Recommendation and Adoption
During the recommendation phase (June – mid-July 2022), NVTA staff will develop and present project recommendations to three committees, which in turn, provide final comments and their own recommendations in June. An updated recommendation will be considered by the full Authority at its regularly scheduled business meeting in July 2022. The Authority is anticipated to take action to adopt the FY2022-2027 Six Year Program during the July 2022 meeting. Keep an eye on scheduled Committee meetings to be held in June/early July 2022, here on this webpage, or on the individual Committee Meeting pages on this website.