FY2024-2029 Six Year Program Phases
Call for Regional Transportation Projects
On March 9, 2023, the Authority unanimously approved the Call for Regional Transportation Projects (CfRTP) for the FY2024-2029 Six Year Program (SYP) Update.
The CfRTP encouraged applicants to consider how well candidate projects support the regional coherence philosophy integral to TransAction. In anticipation of a high demand for regional revenues, the CfRTP further encouraged applicants to highlight how well their candidate projects complement one another and those in adjacent jurisdictions. Applicants are encouraged to highlight how their candidate projects will align with NVTA’s Core Values of Equity, Safety, and Sustainability. All projects considered for regional revenues are subject to a comprehensive regional evaluation process that uses multiple inputs and does not rely on a single metric.
During the application phase (from May 1, 2023 – July 28, 2023), Northern Virginia jurisdictions and agencies are able to apply for NVTA regional funds. Eligible applicants include the region’s counties, cities, five largest towns, transit agencies and other state/regional governmental entities. Individual applicants follow their own local processes for selecting candidate projects and determining how much funding to request. This may include coordinating with other jurisdictions/agencies depending on project location.
- Virginia Code requires for a project to receive NVTA regional funds, it must be included in TransAction, the long-range transportation plan for Northern Virginia.
- NVTA’s process for accepting applications necessitates each applicant’s governing body, typically a County Board of Supervisors or a City/Town Council, has officially endorsed them. The requested amount can either be a precise amount or a ‘not to exceed’ value. Applications that do not include a governing body resolution, or that request a higher amount than stated in the governing body resolution, are ineligible. Projects located in multiple jurisdictions require a governing body resolution from all jurisdictions.
Submitted Regional Transportation Project Applications
24 applications, requesting nearly $1 billion, will be evaluated for funding consideration. To view a summary of project applications, modal breakouts, and funding requests by each jurisdiction and locality, please see the linked chart and map below.
During the evaluation phase (October 2023-March 2024), NVTA staff will conduct detailed reviews of each application and prepare summaries of quantitative and qualitative evaluations. February and March 2024, NVTA staff will share initial findings with selected NVTA committees for review and comment. All meetings are open to the public:
- Technical Advisory Committee (typically third Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m.)
- Planning Coordination and Advisory Committee (typically fourth Wednesday of the month at 6:30 p.m.)
- Planning and Programming Committee (ad hoc schedule)
NVTA staff will review the project applications, request clarifications, and prepare information for the modeling and other analytical work, including congestion reduction relative to cost calculations.
Staff from each jurisdiction/agency will be invited to meet with NVTA staff to present their respective applications and to provide an early opportunity for NVTA staff to request clarifications. It is noted that project details may change during the evaluation phase to reflect any updates that are received by NVTA staff. Candidate projects will be evaluated using a set of quantitative and qualitative measures. Please reference page 4-7 of our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), for further details on the evaluation process.
For more information on how NVTA evaluates regionally significant transportation projects, please visit our NVTATransAction.org website to learn more about TransAction Project Ratings (previously HB 599 ratings).