Since 2013, the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority has funded 79 multimodal transportation projects, valued at more than $990 million. Today, the Authority remains focused on relieving congestion and improving quality of life for Northern Virginians.
The Authority has released for public comment 60 candidate projects and related information for its inaugural FY 2018-2023 Six Year Program. Now through midnight May 20, 2018, the public is invited to learn more about and comment on the candidate projects under consideration for funding.
The Northern Virginia Transportation Authority is a regional body that is focused on delivering real transportation solutions and value for Northern Virginia’s transportation dollars by bringing Northern Virginia jurisdictions and agencies together to prioritize projects and implement solutions.
- On April 12, 2018, the Authority released for public comment 60 candidate projects and related information for its inaugural FY 2018-2023 Six Year Program. Now through midnight May 20, 2018, the public is invited to learn more about and comment on the candidate projects under consideration for funding.
- Our nine member localities have joined the Northern Virginia Transportation Coalition to call on Governor Northam to ensure that allocation of funds to Metro does not come at the expense of other critical transportation priorities in the region. Read the release & letters to the Governor.
- On March 14, 2018, the NVTA hosted the 3rd Annual Northern Virginia Transportation Roundtable, presented by the Intelligent Transportation Society of Virginia. The Roundtable included presentations and thought-provoking panel discussion centered on the theme: “Self-Driving Vehicles: Utopia or Dystopia?” Panelists discussed the potential impacts new technologies can have on the future of transportation. Check out a recap of roundtable in our newsletter.
- The Authority celebrated its 15th Anniversary on November 9 with many current and previous Authority members in attendance. Read all about the night of reflection and celebration in our press release.
- On October 12, 2017, the Authority adopted the TransAction Plan Update. With the adoption of TransAction, the Authority also approved the issuance of the Call for Regional Transportation Projects for the Authority’s inaugural Six Year Program. Learn more about these noteworthy action items in the Authority’s press release.
Current Programs & Projects
The Authority adopted its FY2017 Program on July 14, 2016, funding 12 projects for a total funding package of $466 million. The FY2017 Program will be the last based on projects evaluated in TransAction 2040.
30% Local Distribution Fund Projects
Each year, the Authority distributes 30% of its revenues to the member localities in which the taxes and fees are raised. So far, member localities have used their 30% revenues for projects like bus operation expenses, Capital Bikeshare and pedestrian improvements.
Regional Transportation Projects
Check out our interactive project information map for information about the projects NVTA funds throughout the region!
The Authority is responsible for developing and updating the long range regional transportation plan for Northern Virginia, currently TransAction. This long range transportation plan is used to evaluate and prioritize the funding of transportation projects in Northern Virginia.
Events & Meetings
Select a highlighted date for more information
April 23, 2018
8:30 am - 11:00 am
Transportation Forum for NoVa's Elected Leaders
Founders Hall 111, Schar School of Policy and Government, Arlington VA
April 25, 2018
Planning Coordination Advisory Committee Meeting
NVTA Offices, Fairfax Virginia
April 30, 2018
5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
VDOT’s Public Hearing for FY 2019-2024 Six-Year Improvement Program (SYIP)
Northern Virginia District Office Potomac Conference Room, Fairfax VA
Newsletter Sign Up
Please enter you information below and click sign up to register to receive the NVTA newsletter.