- This event has passed.
Virtual Public Hearing: Changes to Improve Access to Franconia-Springfield Station
July 12, 2022 @ 7:00 pm
For immediate release: June 13, 2022
Metro seeks public input on changes to improve access to Franconia-Springfield Station
Metro is seeking public input on proposed changes to the Franconia-Springfield Metro Station to accommodate the Frontier Drive Extension Project, which is led by Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and Fairfax County. The project proposes to extend Frontier Drive to Loisdale Road near the Franconia-Springfield Metro Station to better connect the nearby employment center that includes the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) headquarters.
The proposed design includes the following modifications to Metro facilities:
- Add two new signalized intersections; one at Metro Access Road and Frontier Drive, and one reconfigured intersection to improve traffic flow and operations.
- Reconfigure sections of the Franconia-Springfield Station circulatory road and access to parking garage entrances (all existing access points would be maintained).
- Add three new bus bays at Franconia-Springfield Station.
- Add new bus layover facility.
- Eliminate the pick-up/drop-off area at Franconia-Springfield Station.
Full project details are available at VDOT’s Frontier Drive Extension webpage.
How to provide feedback
- Take a survey and provide written comments by 5 p.m. Friday, July 29, 2022 by clicking here.
- Participate in a Virtual Public Hearing
- Metro and VDOT will host a joint Virtual Public Hearing on Tuesday, July 12, 2022, at 7 p.m. The project team will make a short presentation beginning at 7 p.m. and answer questions for about an hour after the presentation. You can register in advance on VDOT’s Frontier Drive Public Hearing page.
- The Virtual Public hearing will be livestreamed on VDOT’s Frontier Drive webpage. To call in without registering and participate in listen-only mode call 1-877-568-4108 and enter access code 998-539-348.
Public feedback will be provided to Metro’s Board of Directors as part of the final decision-making process.
Public participation is solicited without regard to race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, disability, or family status. ASL interpretation will be provided. To request other accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other language interpretation services (free of charge), contact the Office of the Board Secretary at 202-962-2511 (TTY: 202-962-2033) or send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible, so Metro can make the necessary arrangements before the public hearing date.